Want to invest wisely in your business? Invest wisely in your personal brand. And keep the thread running throughout all the components of your personal brand building, from visual to verbal/non verbal communication, collateral and marketing material and business protocol. Peggy offers five affirmative steps you can take to build your personal brand:
- Always dress appropriately. Impeccable grooming sends an irrefutable message to the world of how you value yourself. You never have a second chance to make a great first impression. And remember that everyone with whom you come into contact is a prospective client.
- Always communicate as if you were auditioning for a movie part. Keep your verbal and nonverbal communications consistent with your personal brand. Walk and talk as if you own the world, and you just might find that you do.
- Strive to be a professional in everything you do. When you walk out the door, zip up your “professional suit.” No matter how you feel or what curveballs life has thrown that day, show the world that you’ve got it all together.
- Pick up an etiquette book. You may be surprised at what’s couth and what’s not. Practice your skills at home, and they’ll become second nature.
- Hire professionals. Don’t cut corners when it comes to marketing tools; prospective clients often see your marketing tools before they meet you. And don’t underestimate the importance of personal branding; hire an image consultant to help you leverage your personal brand.
Successful entrepreneurs recognize that branding is as personal as a signature and as significant as positive cash flow. Whether you’re Nordstrom or the small, corner boutique in North Salem, Massachusetts, you’ll benefit from analyzing your brand, scrutinizing your brand and probing your brand until it defines you and what you have to offer. It gives “brand new” a whole new meaning!